Learning
one of the most difficult musical instruments might be a real task of challenge
in itself; however it is incomplete without performing it if front of a
considerable audience.
It has
been a year since I started learning violin. Albeit, I have only come to
realise – I am still digging the crust of an immensely deep and dense pie. Learning
violin really takes immense determination
and passion. Moreover, training in Indian classical takes it to a greater
level of arduousness. I have merely learned two Rags (Bhupali, Durga) as per the Indian tradition. However, when it
came to performing I was faced with one of the most bewildering of all
challenges.
Cultural
events in any Indian society stand unmatched when compared to the rest of the
world. Ganesh-Utsav (usually a 10 day long celebration centralized on the
elephant-headed god of wisdom and prosperity Ganesh) is one of the biggest of
such cultural and religious gatherings. Having said that, it gave me a nice
opportunity to display the skills I had
developed over the past year; serve people by entertaining them; and perhaps
encourage others to take interest in it. So I decided to perform on one of the
day 10 days. I consulted my coordinator Ms. Vijayalaxmi for approval and
contacted Mr. Anoop Iyyer my supervisor. Mr. Iyyer is an excellent keyboard
player and show organizer. He helped me put up a complete show. Even though I
was learning Indian classical, it wasn’t adequate to be able to perform in a
classical show naturally. In addition, if I had to perform in from of the
common audience, I had to consider the fact that not everyone had the taste and
understanding of classical music.
![]() |
| Mr. Anoop on keyboard and me playing violin. |
Therefore
I decided to play something other than classical music, something which could
at least be apprehended by the audience.
Thereby, I planned to prepare a piece of western music and play that
instead. I came up with the world famous song “My heart will go on” from the movie Titanic. The song was known to
all and the evening served as an adequate time to play and enjoy it. Admittedly
however, planning to play it was the easiest part. The way western violin is
played is different from the Indian style, even the seating differs. I had to
struggle a lot to play it while sitting on a chair (we sit down
conventionally). I had to prepare it in very less time. I never thought I would
be able to do it in time. To my surprise, I just did prepare it well! In fact
my sister wanted to sing it with me on listening to my violin. I became aware of my own abilities to
perform under pressure and the latent talent my sister had. I didn’t know
she could sing so well. Being able to play a new song was still easy I thought,
when it came to performing.
My
activity supervisor, Mr. Anoop supported and encouraged me to take up this
task. Initially I was really nervous about performing in public. I did agree to
perform but since I had no experience of it I wasn’t really sure. I even thought
of cancelling it, but something in me refrained to give up. Such are the times
where we actually need to show perseverance
because it our determination which enables us to withstand the challenges. Mr.
Anoop kept encouraging me and it really helped me stick to my commitment.
![]() |
| Our performance: "My heart will go on" |
The
event was set, crowd occupied that area and after the opening ritual and a
couple of religious songs it was our turn. Mr. Anoop just asked me to simply
start without any second thought. I started playing and without realizing I
finished it smoothly. To me it just felt like a fraction of second, I had no
idea what the audience was clapping at in the end. It turned out that people really
liked it. Some people even wanted to learn violin getting inspired from me. I
felt really excited. I was glad that I could perform it so well and that people
liked it. Suddenly, that so called ‘stage fear’ vanished. Performing an art is
a skill and I was really happy to have at least taken a step towards perfecting
it.


No comments:
Post a Comment